[mythtv-users] OT: VDPAU and VP3 or VP2?

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Jul 30 19:17:48 UTC 2009

sonofzev at iinet.net.au wrote:
>>> Currently, the recommendation for a discrete card is one capable of
>>> using all available deinterlace modes at full 1080i resolution.  That
>>> typically means a 9500GT or 8600GT.
>>>
>> After following all the instructions here last night;
>>
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/VDPAU
>>
>> including triple buffer, upping cpu speed to 1.8 GHz and turning off composite
>>
>> I've found that Advanced 2* actually works well on an 8600 GS with 256 MB as
>> well... so all de interlace modes appear to be available.
>>
>> although it's pretty hard to get these cards now..
>>
>> Is this not expected?
>>

> My apologies.. I'm a dufus... I have 8600 gt cards...
> Is it likely that the ramped up cpu speed is making a difference.. I could barely
> tell and I think it might be due to an expectation on my behalf not a reality..

I don't think it's the clock speed.
The recommended cards (8600 for AMD chipsets, 9500 for Intel) have more
shaders, than the lower level cards. The clock speeds are not that
different.
The latest/greatest ATI Firepro for gamers has 800 shader processors
(and costs $1,500)!!  The hottest (in more ways than one) Nvidia Quadro
FX3800 has 192. IIRC the 8600 and 9500 have 16 or 32!

Geoff