[mythtv-users] I want Mythtv to change my dish pvr channels.

Jeff junk_inbox at verizon.net
Wed Jul 29 19:12:07 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 2:01 PM, Rodney D. Myers <rod_myers at fastmail.fm>wrote:

> On Jul 29, 2009, at 9:42 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:

>>> IR blaster of some type.
>>>

>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/DISHNetworkLIRCConfiguration
>>
>>  Thank you both. Looking at the link, and will go from there.

Hey Rodney,

  If your backend has a hardware serial port (note that usb serial adapters
won't work!), and you're handy with a soldering iron (or have a friend that
is), you can build a simple 'blaster' like the one on the lirc.org site for
just a few bucks.  (or if you're like me, for free since I had all the parts
already laying around)
          http:/lirc.org

  And if you're not that great at reading schematics, I've simplified it a
little bit in my version of the pic:
          http://jartz.gotdns.com:8008/files/ir_blaster.jpg

  There's even a company that sells a nice unit already made up for
something like $12 - irblaster.info iirc...

  My current system is 3x dish SD receivers feeding S-video and analog audio
into Hauppauge tuners, with channel changing via IR blasters.  (plus a
HDHomeRun for HD ATSC)

  But if you don't have a hardware serial port, then you'll either have to
put in a serial pci card, or purchase a usb ir blaster...

J-e-f-f-A