[mythtv-users] defnitive guide to auto transcoding

Owen Townend owen.townend at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 05:13:39 UTC 2009

2009/7/29 sonofzev at iinet.net.au <sonofzev at iinet.net.au>:

> Hi All
>
> I've been doing some searching on setting up auto-transcoding and have found a
> plethora of posts and suggestions e.t.c...
>
> Can someone point me to a definitive guide that works all the time, and also
> describes how to do this to a format like ogg-theora or mkv (h264) for the hi -
> def stuff.
>
> Sorry, but google is not my friend this time as there is simply too much
> information and it is impossible to know where to look..

Hey,
The very short version is that you can call any command you like at the
end of every recording using 'user jobs'. This of course opens you up to
using mencoder, ffmpeg, handbrake etc and their plethora of options
and codecs.

To keep it manageable I use mythnuv2mkv[0] which in turn makes use
of mencoder. mythnuv2mkv can build usable file names from the
myth db if you choose to export the files or can simply overwrite the
original recordings with the encoded version.

It is then a simple case of adding your desired options to user jobs
e.g. high bitrate h264 mkv, low res xvid avi, etc...

cheers,
Owen.

footnotes:
--