[mythtv-users] Discussion: system layouts to reduce power consumption

Petr Stehlik pstehlik at sophics.cz
Tue Jul 28 05:30:35 UTC 2009

glenhawk at optusnet.com.au píše v Út 28. 07. 2009 v 10:58 +1000:
> I have tried using Wake-On-LAN over the Internet to only switch on the
> MBE when needed but I couldn't get it through my router

I loaded DD-WRT to my router for this very reason - to be able to WoL
anything at home from the outside internet.

> and even if I could I would have to quickly start recording something
> to prevent the system from shutting back down (perhaps if MythWeb
> could be made to hold MythShutdown

yes, I'm missing this, too, but I believe it could be worked around by a
small external script for now (mythshutdown calls a script to find out
whether everything is idle, IIRC).

> While I have been puzzling over the perfect layout

I have the same goal as you have (to save the bills). Currently my FE
+BE, when idle, consumes 90W (when recording or playing it's naturally
more) and I believe that splitting the system to low power BE (I hope to
get under 50W without that hungry graphics card) and FEs based on nVIDIA
ION will save quite some power (but I have yet to try that out). It's a
question whether further splitting to ARM based MBE (~30W with the
disks?) and tuner based SBE would help...

Petr