[mythtv-users] overscan problems with nvidia 8400 GS

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Mon Jul 27 18:27:22 UTC 2009

On Sun, July 26, 2009 1:09 pm, Dale Pontius wrote:
> My problem is that I get too much overscan on S-Video and component
> video, and would love to be able to cut it back.  Right now I see that
> the latest driver Gentoo has in portage is 185.18.14.  I'm unpacking it
> now to take a look at the changelog - maybe just a wait for 190.18 will
> fix this...

Have you tried the "nvtv" utility?  I had the opposite problem on my card
-- too little overscan, leaving crooked, ugly borders -- and used nvtv to
increase it to compensate.  I had the most luck running it from the
command line, since in GUI mode it tends to switch to PAL output and screw
everything up.  I'm using:

  nvtv -t -r 800,600 -s Large -S NTSC

The overscan stuff is controlled by the -s command; options for my card
are something like Tiny, Medium, Large, and Huge.  Make sure you include
"-S NTSC" or it will probably go into PAL mode and give you an unusable
picture.  "-t" turns on the TV output (redundant, but it ensures the
command doesn't switch it off) and "-r 800,600" sets the resolution.

My card is ancient, though -- it's a GeForce 2 MX400 -- so it's possible
the newer cards need a different tool.