[mythtv-users] overscan problems with nvidia 8400 GS

Tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Sun Jul 26 22:28:24 UTC 2009

>> What NVIDIA driver version are you using?
>>
>> I ask because I noticed that the 190.18 driver does not do overscan on
>> the S-Video output (at least not in the same way as the 185 and earlier
>> drivers). As a result, I cannot use the 190.18 driver when connecting to
>> my television using S-Video. However, overscan on HDMI appears to be fine.
> Just tried 185.18.14...
>
> Overscan situation is unchanged.  Furthermore, Mythfrontend doesn't come
> up all the way.  I get the background, but no menu items.  Tried
> kill/restart several times, no good.
>
> Back to 180.60.
>

> Hi Dale
> Without checking I assume your TV is a SD TV?  (Yet it has HDMI input?)

SDTV with svideo, composite, and component video inputs.  I'm trying to
use the component video.  The Mythbox has PCI-Express, and I don't have
any other PCI-Express (or straight PCI) with TV-Out.  Can you recommend
something, say under $50?

Seems you have a spare PCI slot?  Maybe a http://www.sparkle.com.tw/product.asp?id=16 but not sure on price or whether this will
drive component?  Also http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4471401&CatId=319 does S-Video @
~US$54.  Maybe someone on list has direct experience and can confirm these would work, I don't see why not, but then I well know
that the proof is in a known working example!
I'd have thought getting a PCI card that does composite would not be too hard.  Others say S-Video is better however I have yet to
demonstrate that myself.  Maybe my gear isn't up to it, not sure.  Does component on your TV actually look significantly better?  I
expect it is the older RGB type.  That might have to be sacrificed, but someone or Google may know better?

Also note http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/190.18/README/appendix-a.html