[mythtv-users] Remote Mythfrontend Problem

Steve Milner mythtv at stephen-milner.me.uk
Sat Jul 25 18:54:14 UTC 2009

Hi Mark.

Thanks for the reply.

I've got a workaround for the moment - a 10s pause!

On 25/07/09 14:11, Mark Garland wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> Eeek.  Not very popular at all I suspect :-)
> I'm impressed you're using the atom chip though - shame it's not working out
> for you.
>
> When you say that you are using your work's laptop - how is it connected to
> the backend?  Is this using your electricity network connection, wired, or
> something else?

I was using a 54MB/s wireless network that's part of my network topology.

> To help solve my issue, on the advice of many people here, I've ordered
> something NVidia based: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/116473.

I'm looking at dabs right now.

> I'll let you know how I get on, but everything I'm reading suggests that
> NVidia is the way to go with Myth.

I'm a big NVidia fan and have been for many years. The intel chipset is
on the mobo of the silent pc so I thougt it was worth giving it a try.

> I'm sure you could buy something non-PCIE for less/same money, and for<£30
> delivered it's worth a punt?

Ah, problem. I don't have PCIe, only PCI. I can get one for around £40
which is this:

http://www.dabs.com/products/pny-geforce-8400gs-576mhz-512mb-pci-vga-dvi-i-5K9L.html?refs=41600000

But I have no idea if its fanless, otherwise I've sort of defeated the
object. Misco do it as well, and at least they allow product questions,
but I'll have to wait until Mondat to give them a call.

> I also see you have an NVidia card in your backend.  Could you borrow that,
> pop it in the frontend, and see if it works reliably?

It's AGP - again no good.

Thanks for the help Mark