[mythtv-users] question/set top box

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Sat Jul 25 16:13:36 UTC 2009

On 07/25/2009 11:51 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 07/25/2009 11:44 AM, Srinivas Gowrisanker wrote:
>> THanks for the reply. Just to be clear that I understand this
>> correctly...
>> 1. Wall to stb to pvr150
>> 2. have stb on ch 3
> No. Instead of using an RF modulated ("coax" cable with F-connector)
> output from the STB, use (in order of preference) S-Video or Composite
> output. If you do, the tuner of the PVR-150 is never used (so no need to
> set channel)--and, besides, I've heard rumors that the "Preset tuner to
> channel" setting doesn't work (and you need that setting to use RF
> modulated output that goes through the PVR-150's tuner to preset the
> channel to channel 3). I've never looked into it because I don't have
> any RF modulated sources.
> It is /critical/ that you do /not/ specify a value for "Preset tuner to
> channel" if using S-Video/Composite.
>> 3. get IR blaster. connect IR blaster to STB or to PVR150? I have a
>> remote that came with PVR150. Should I use that? I also have a USB IR
>> blaster that I can use. Now will this usb IR blaster go on stb or the
>> computer?
> The computer controls the IR blaster, which sends an IR signal to the STB.
> If you truly have an IR blaster, you can put it anywhere with a direct
> line of sight to the STB.
> If you have an IR transmitter that is /not/ an IR blaster***, you may
> need to affix the LED to the STB's IR receiver (or very close to it).
> ***All IR blasters are IR transmitters, but not all IR transmitters are
> IR blasters. An IR blaster "blasts" a strong IR signal--strong enough to
> cover long distances and, in many cases, to bounce of walls and "find"
> the STB's IR receiver. An IR transmitter may send a very weak signal
> that requires the transmitter's LED to be affixed to (or within inches
> of) the STB's IR receiver.
>> 4. I deleted everything and restarting. Right now I have set it with
>> schedules direct (wall/stb/pvr150 and stb is on ch3) and doing a
>> mythfilldatabase.
>> Will keep post back as to how it goes.
> Again, you really don't want to use RF modulated output/"Preset tuner to
> channel" (channel 3)--as it probably doesn't work, but even if it does,
> the quality will be /significantly/ worse than if you use S-Video.

Also of importance: channel scanning should only be used for a digital
capture card. No scanning is required when using an analog setup like
this. Just set up your channel lineup, set up your channel-changer
script, and all it has to do is send channel numbers to the cable box,
and the capture card records whatever comes out of the cable box.

Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com