[mythtv-users] Big Plea For Help

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Sat Jul 25 03:08:51 UTC 2009

On 07/24/2009 04:21 AM, Mark Garland wrote:
> Hi all,

> I've been battling now for the last 3mths to get my mythtv setup working,
> and whatever I try I still can't see to get there.
>
> The main issue I get random locking - either during recorded shows, channel
> changing, or live tv.
>
> Sometimes it locks and tells me that it is "Timed out waiting for free video
> buffers", sometimes it's a collection of
> "RingBuf(/video/1001_20090717183822.mpg): Waited x seconds for data to
> become available...", sometimes the UI locks but the video keeps playing
> with no sound with masses of "AddAudioData():p1: Audio buffer overflow,
> audio data lost!".  Usually there are "prebuffering pause" and "Prebuffer
> wait timed out 10 times".
>
> Generally, after 5mins or so, I'm taken back to the menus, but during that
> time the frontend UI is unresponsive.
>
> I don't think it's a CPU problem.  The dual-core CPU often scales back from
> 2.6Ghz to 1Ghz, and rarely goes about 50% of that, even when recording,
> watching and commsflagging.

This may seem weird but other threads point to a problem when the CPU
gets scaled back. You might try setting 'governor=performance' or
whatever your magic incantation is.
I can understand how throttling down the CPU can start this sort of
problem, but I really don't understand why the system doesn't re-set
itself...but apparently it won't/can't and the user app gets starved of
cycles and goes stupid.
Obviously, what you have should work all the time, and apparently does
part of the time, until something triggers a...digression from the true
path.

This free advice may be worth exactly what you have paid for it!

Geoff