[mythtv-users] HDMI audio

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 22:27:09 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 3:00 PM, Zach<uid000 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 5:50 PM, Phil Linttell<phil.linttell at rogers.com> wrote:
>>
>> Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 16:47:59 -0400
>>>
>>> From: Zach<uid000 at gmail.com>
>>> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] nvidia 8200 IGP + VDPAU no luck
>>> To: Discussion about mythtv<mythtv-users at mythtv.org>Phil,
>>>
>>> I'll give give 190.x a try.  I changed my cpu scaling to performance
>>> which cleared things right up.  However I am getting the tearing, so
>>> maybe the newer drivers will help that.
>>>
>>> I'm also curious about your audio over HDMI, which I'll ask about in a
>>> separate thread.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>

>> Zach,
>>
>> Thought I'd save you the trouble of starting a new thread to ask me about
>> HDMI audio.
>>
>> Believe it or not, I'm using ALSA to PulseAudio 0.9.15.   I've also tried
>> the MythTV patch for PulseAudio (5473).   (I did at one point sideline Pulse
>> and use ALSA native, but I couldn't use my Bluetooth headset properly that
>> way.)  I figure Myth has to support Pulse properly at some point, given that
>> it's so integral to newer distributions.
>>
>> Pulse let's me redirect the output to HDMI or analogue.... and I can even
>> play it in stereo over my Bluetooth headphones.
>>
>> However, it's not perfect.  With ALSA->Pulse, when I fast forward, I have
>> about a 1-in-3 chance of not having any audio... so I might have to forward
>> a little further on, or back up a bit until I get it again.  Annoying, but I
>> live with it in the hopes that someone will fix it one day  ;-)  Not sure it
>> would be acceptable to my wife, but I haven't put my system into production
>> yet.
>>
>> PuleAudio direct I always loose sound after a fast/forward, pause, volume
>> change, etc.... and there's no way to get it back short of starting the
>> recording over again.   It looks like 5473 is seeing some attention, so I'm
>> hopeful it will be the final solution.
>
> Okay thanks Phil.  Do you have 5.1 audio working over HDMI?  I think I
> read somewhere that the best you could hope for was stereo with the
> linux nvidia drivers.
>
> Zach
>
> --
> :wq!

If you are doing digital passthrough you will get out what is being
transmitted as myth does nothing to the sound.  You may be confused
because one of the myth checkbox settings is stereo but that is just
because of some quirk.  Change the setting label to "works" and
"doesn't work" instead of "stereo"and "5.1" and you will be happy.

Allen