[mythtv-users] Verizon Fios, any success stories?

Alan Marchiori alan at alanmarian.com
Thu Jul 23 20:59:15 UTC 2009

>> With Fios, there's fiber running right to the house, but at some point
>> it is converted to copper coax for distribution within the residence?
>
> Correct. Or, more completely, there's a fiber[*] running to the house, which
> terminates in what they call an Optical Network Terminal. Out of the ONT
> comes good old-fashioned RG-6 coax, an RJ-45 socket for cat5/5e/6 cable, and
> ~4 RJ-11 sockets for phone lines.
>
>> This conversion converts every channel on the fiber?  How is that
>> possible without insanely expensive hardware?
>
> We have the technology. :) (no clue on details, but it works great)

Well I don't know for sure but I'll throw an idea out there.  I'm
guessing the TV data is QAM modulated (or whatever) and sent out over
the fiber, when it hits the ONT it doesn't demodulate the TV signal,
it just receives the data from the fiber at the physical layer and
copies a subset of the data out the RG-6 physical layer (the TV
channels).  Otherwise if they had to decode and re-encode all of the
channels all of the time I would agree this would be incredibly
difficult.  I guess it is something like a layer 2 router; it routes
the TV signals out the RG-6 phy.