[mythtv-users] xterm prompt configuration

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Thu Jul 23 20:03:35 UTC 2009

On Jul 23, 2009, at 3:57 PM, H P Ladds wrote:

> How do I customize the Xterm prompts in knoppmyth? I'd like the prompt
> to show the current user.

Not really the right place to ask this, if you ask me, but I use the
following in ~/.bashrc for my own boxes:

# color prompt
BLUE='\[\033[01;34m\]'
GREEN='\[\033[01;32m\]'
BLACK='\[\033[00m\]'
YELLOW='\[\033[01;33m\]'
RED='\[\033[01;31m\]'
PS1='['$GREEN'\u'$BLUE'@\h '$RED'\W'$BLACK']\$ '
export PS1

The \u part is user, \h is host, \W is working directory. Somewhere or
another, I've got a more complete version of this that goes in /etc/
profile.d/ and sets a different color if uid == 0, so as to give a
visual clue when logged in a root... Oh, and BLACK isn't actually
black, its whatever your console text color is, iirc.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com