[mythtv-users] Verizon Fios, any success stories?

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Thu Jul 23 05:52:02 UTC 2009

Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> says:
> A quick glance at mythweb for my firewire sourceid says I get SciFi
> (or whatever the eff they're calling it now),

Syfy. It's a dumb new name, but of course real science-fiction fans
call the genre "SF" and not "sci fi" anyway.

> Discovery, National Geographic, History, CNN, TBS, Universal HD,
> HDNet, CSN NE, CNBC, The Weather Channel, the Science Channel,
> Smithsonian, Animal Planet, HD Theater, The Learning Channel,
> Lifetime, Food Network, HGTV, A&E, Bravo and the Home Shopping
> Network HD feeds off FireWire without encryption.

With Astound in San Francisco (which I chose specifically for the
untrammeled FireWire access) I get in HD, compared to your list, no
CNN, CNBC, The Weather Channel, Smithsonian, or HSN, but do get HDNet
Movies, NFL, Disney, Lifetime Movie Network, the Travel Channel, and
MGM HD.

> Oh, and there was a free weekend of HBO and Showtime a few months
> back, and all HBO and Showtime variants came off the box without
> encryption too.

HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, TMC, and Starz here.

> The list of things that need to go through the HD PVR is mainly ESPN
> (all variants), NESN, USA and TNT (again, all HD).

Ah, I see I misunderstood your previous message; now I understand why
the HD PVR would still be used.

--
Frontend/backend:	P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array