[mythtv-users] OT: followup to cable TV moving broadcast channel to digital tier (long)

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Jul 23 01:58:16 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 22 July 2009 19:42:46 Marc Barrett wrote:

> My guess is that, for people living in Nebraska, Cox could get away
> with moving an Iowa channel to the digital tier, since for them the
> Iowa channel is technically "out of state".  But I do not understand
> how they could get away with this for Cox TV subscribers who live in
> Iowa.

It would depend on how the ADI (Area of Dominant Influence) is defined, a
State Line does not necessarily seperate TV markets, in fact it almost never
does, look at NYC (which includes NJ and CT) and Philly, which encompasses
parts of NJ, DEL and PA.

It might be different with public stations, since the ADI is pretty much a
commercial thing.

I just lost Nebraska Public TV myself, I used to get channel 13 out of
Alliance on DISH, but since the digital switch I no longer get it. They have
some pretty decent stuff. I can get KRMA out of Denver, and the Wyoming
Public network, when it's up.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org