[mythtv-users] Verizon Fios, any success stories?

Jeff junk_inbox at verizon.net
Wed Jul 22 21:15:38 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 4:58 PM, Ajay Sharma <ajayrockrock at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm thinking about switching from Dish to Fios and was wondering if someone
> can give me a definitive answer on it's support with myth?  I've been
> searching on and off for the past week and haven't found anything concrete.
>

> Right now I'm only doing normal SD Video (no HD stuff yet as I don't have
> an HDTV).  But I'm thinking about making the plunge to go HD, so the HD-PVR
> seems like the best bet at the moment.
>
> Is anyone running Verizon Fios with the HD-PVR?  In that you're recording
> HD channels and got the HD-PVR to change channels on the Verizon STB.
>
> Secondly, if you're NOT using HD, can you still get the channel changing to
> work on the STB with lirc?   HD isn't a show stopper for me as I'm still
> happy with normal SD.  But I would like to swap my dish tv + cable internet
> + vonage phone for fios.
>
> Thanks,
> Ajay

Hi Ajay,

  I'm considering virtually the same switch, but I already have FiOS
Internet, so it'd be from Dish + FiOS Internet + Vonage to FiosTV HD + FiOS
Internet + Vonage.  (Keeping Vonage - I only have the $14/mo plan anyways.)

  The SD boxes do not have firewire, and although they have a serial port on
the back, I don't think it can be used for channel changes.  (I could be
wrong on that)  If that's the case, then you're back to LIRC control.  I'm
not sure if they can be changed to multiple IR code sets like Dish boxes
can, so if you have more than one STB, things would get messy with multiple
LIRC instances, etc.

  With HD boxes, you can at least change channels with Firewire, eliminating
LIRC.

  I'm considering going to FiOS TV HD boxes, and using FireWire for
channel-changing.  I'll initially be capturing SD-quality output via
S-Video, at least until I can afford HD-PVRs... ;-)  (My current setup is 3x
Dish SD receivers into Hauppauge tuners, with channel changing done with one
instance of lirc and three remote codes, one for each receiver)

  The only drawback to FiOS TV (for me at least) is that with Dish I get the
Encore channels as part of my "top 250" package - wheras with FiOS TV, I've
have to pay another $15/month to get the "Movie Package", which is (IIRC) 45
movie channels... Granted, that's about 38 more than I get now, but humm...
I was trying to keep the cost down!

J-e-f-f-A