[mythtv-users] Dvico Fusion HDTV DVB-T USB or something else?

Iain Buchanan iaindb at netspace.net.au
Wed Jul 22 04:40:46 UTC 2009

Hi all,

I've just set up MythTV on an old 3GHz P4 laptop.  So far I have no
tuner for the laptop (PCI card in my desktop).  I'm using the laptop
initially as a frontend and backend, to sit in my entertainment cabinet,
as it has a built-in IR receiver.  So far so good.

Now I've been reading about lots of hardware on linuxtv.org, and I want
something around the $AU 100 mark.  There is a plethora of devices
listed at http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB-T_USB_Devices so
it's hard to research them all...  I've been comparing prices online,
and this one looks pretty reasonable:

Dvico Fusion HDTV DVB-T USB for $99

So does anyone have experience with this unit? It states "HD(MPEG2) to
DVD/ MPEG4(Divx) conversion" - does this mean hardware MPEG4 or is that
just "in software"?  can you get a hardware MPEG4 usb DVB-T device?

And as a final thought the laptop also has firewire and PCMCIA - any
comments on better idea's than the USB DVB-T device?  Their respective
wiki pages look fairly empty!

Thanks for any help!
--
Iain Buchanan <iaindb at netspace.net.au>