[mythtv-users] Flash streaming through a non-standard HTTP port?

Nate Bargmann n0nb at n0nb.us
Tue Jul 21 11:29:51 UTC 2009

* William <william_munson at comcast.net> [2009 Jul 21 05:21 -0500]:
> Nate Bargmann wrote:
>> I am using Mythbuntu 8.04 with Myth 0.21 (long in the tooth, I know).
>> I enabled the experimental Flash server and it works well on my home
>> network which Apache serves on port 80.  Because my ISP blocks port 80,
>> I have Apache serving the Internet on a non-standard port (with
>> authentication).  Everything about MythWeb is working fine except that
>> I can't play the Flash video. The player loads and the video thumbnail
>> is displayed, but when the Play button is click the player screen goes
>> blank and no video appears.
>>
>> I find nothing in either syslog or the access log to suggest a kernel
>> firewall or Apache configuration that is stopping things.  Does the
>> Flash player use port 80?  If so, that will need to be addressed and a
>> new port assigned.  Where might I go about addressing that?
>>
>> - Nate >>
>>

> Have you tried using your router to redirect the non standard port to
> port 80 internally? I am not sure if your standard router firmware can
> handle that task however any router flashed with dd-wrt will do it.

Yes, I have the router forwarding the non standard port to port 80 on
my Myth box and it works very well except for Flash and ASX streaming,
neither of which work through the router to the Internet but work on my
LAN.  Watching on my LAN with Wireshark last night it appears
everything was using port 80.

- Nate >>