[mythtv-users] Question/Recommendation: Amplifier w/SPDIF w/RS232?

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Mon Jul 20 20:36:51 UTC 2009

mythtv at derdev.com wrote:
> I've asked my question badly... let me reformulate before the flogging
> line gets too deep:
>
> I want to control the amp's "volume knob" via the same remote for
> controlling the frontend: what's the "best" way to integrate the remote,
> the receiver, and mythfrontend (and its hardware)?
>
> Since SPDIF doesn't control volume, I see only two options.
> a) Program the remote to issue "volume" commands directly to the Amp's IR
> receiver for VolumeUP and VolumeDN using the Receiver's IR codes (e.g. use
> "learning" on a universal remote)
> or
> b) Control volume via LIRC and RS232 hookup to the receiver/amp.
>
> Did I ask a better question?
A programmable remote is going to be the easiest by far.  That is the
method I currently use with my Harmony remotes.

RS232 will be the second best option, if your receiver supports it, and
your frontend has a serial port.  You just need to run 'irexec' to
trigger a small script and send the necessary commands over the serial port.

LIRC setup will be much the same, but in addition you have to capture
the necessary signals, and attach a blaster to the receiver.

There is a fourth option, which is probably not possible at the moment.
The HDMI spec lists a 'consumer electronics control' pin, which offers a
data bus between devices on the link, allowing remote control, audio,
and video all on one cable.  As far as I know, there is currently no
video card support for such commands under linux.  I came across this
(http://rainshadowtech.com/default_files/HDMICECUSB.htm) which looks to
be a passthrough device that splits off the CEC commands to a separate
serial terminal interface.