[mythtv-users] 8 Port SATA PCIx card

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Mon Jul 20 00:45:33 UTC 2009

Marc Tousignant wrote:
> I have 2 of the 9550's with infiniband connectors going to a a pair of
> backplanes in a server.

A caveat about the 9550s, speaking from personal experience:  These
cards do not support SATA II (300 MB/s) speeds, and auto-negotiation
does not always work properly.  If you use SATA II drives with these
cards you *must* jumper the drives so they're limited to 150 MB/s.
Otherwise you'll find drives are occasionally kicked out of the array
with "Drive Timeout" errors when it's under heavy I/O load.  There's an
article in the 3ware knowledge base that explains this, which I
unfortunately only found after I RMA'd three perfectly good drives. ;)

On Western Digital hard disks the jumper position you want to close for
150 MB/s is the one labeled "OPT1".  On newer drives this is listed as
"factory use only" but it still has the same function.