[mythtv-users] Nvidia with DVI-to-HDMI blank screen during boot

Paul Bender pebender at san.rr.com
Sat Jul 18 04:45:24 UTC 2009

Krzysztof Adamski wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-07-17 at 16:16 -0400, zablal baz wrote:
>> Hey All,
>>
>> This is more of an annoyance for me then anything else, but I would
>> love to know if anyone knows how to fix it. I have a GeForce FX 5200
>> video card that is connected to my 47" LCD TV via a DVI to HDMI
>> converter cable. Whenever I boot the system, I have to wait for X to
>> start before anything appears on the display. I don't get to see any
>> boot time messages and that kind of annoys me. I've seen this
>> behaviour in F8, F10, and F11.
>>
>> Does anyone know if there are some kernel parameters or something that
>> can be done to get the boot time messages up on the display during
>> boot? Or am I just stuck waiting for the nvidia driver to load and
>> initialize hardware?
>
> I have the same card connected the same way as you to a DLP Samsung and
> it displays the boot up just fine. It is probably your TV that does not
> want to display anything except hi res. The only difference is that I
> use Debian, but that does not matter since BIOS POST is visible.

I am not sure that it is television related.

I have a motherboard with integrated nvidia 8200 graphics. Initially, it
displayed BIOS and console via DVI on my television. However, at some
point (apparently I did something via software, but I do not know what),
it stopped displaying BIOS and console via DVI on the same television.
In both cases, the display worked after Xorg started. Therefore, the
hardware went from working to not working on the same television.

I have thought that at some point I would boot the system using Windows
in order to see whether or not the Windows drivers/software might fix
the problem. However, since it continues to work via the HDMI interface,
  it has not been a high priority.