[mythtv-users] Hauppage HVR-950Q

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Jul 17 17:32:10 UTC 2009

On Friday 17 July 2009 11:10:57 Doug Lytle wrote:
> Robert McNamara wrote:
> > Bear in mind that the average user *does* want the Q version, as the
> > non-Q cannot tune QAM.
>
> I think I can tune QAM256, but I'll double check this weekend.  I wanted it
> for analog though.

Using a simple frame grabber for analog means that you will have to use your
CPU to do the encoding, and you will have a limited number of encodings
available with MythTV.

A hardware encoder, like the old reliable PVR-150s, is a better way to go for
analog capture. No CPU load to speak of, MPEG2 compression and probably the
best-tested drivers available for Myth. There are also devices available that
will use hardware to encode analog captures to MPEG4 (Plextor for example).

I realize I'm spending your money with abandon, but analog capture devices can
be had relatively cheaply these days.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org