[mythtv-users] OT: SATA errors

Graham Wood mythtv-users at spam.dragonhold.org
Fri Jul 17 10:10:34 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 11:02:07AM +0100, Ian Clark wrote:
> You might also get away copying /etc/passwd to /etc/shadow and using passwd
> to explicity set any passwords you need. (this may require a bit of checking
> to ensure you don't leave system users with an empty password though;
> although for a home myth box this level of security may be unnecessary and
> not a problem, This will depend on your firewall/network configuration
> though and how 'precious' the contents of the mythbox are.)
Not been watching the thread, but thought I'd step in here...

There's a command "pwconv" which will generate the /etc/shadow file based on the existing
/etc/passwd and /etc/shadow - which is a safer way of doing it.

You'll need to set the passwords still, but the UID/GID/etc information will be "correct"

Graham