[mythtv-users] OT: SATA errors

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Fri Jul 17 04:01:36 UTC 2009

George Nassas wrote:
> On 16-Jul-09, at 5:20 PM, Harry Devine wrote:
>
>> I mount the sda1 partition since I know that's where my /boot
>> partition is.  I can see the files, so I'm not really sure why the
>> system can't boot from the drive.  I know that in my MB, there were
>> options for the Onboard SATA controller, but I disabled it since I
>> figured that would interfere with the new card.
>> Does anyone have any ideas on what I need to do to get the OS to boot
>> from the drive on this new card?
>

> I wonder if the drives are being discovered in a different order when
> you boot from the controller vs a live cd. I had something like this
> when I installed a sata controller in a ata motherboard -- every so
> often my data drive would come up as sda1 and I'd get that same insert
> system drive business.
>
> I solved it by changing fstab to mount root using uuid syntax similar
> to what's described here
> http://thelinuxcauldron.wordpress.com/category/hard-drive/ and then
> (if I recall correctly) rebuilding the init image and reinitializing
> the boot block.
>
> That might not be it but it's easy enough to try.
>
> - George

I just booted to the LiveCD and checked that, and my /etc/fstab already
has the drives mounting using the UUID.  I did run blkid and vol_id as
the article you linked suggested, and they match what is in /etc/fstab.
Very good suggestion, but a dead end I'm afraid.

Thanks alot for the tip, though!
Harry