[mythtv-users] CBS/NBC 1080i and telecine

Andrew Gallatin gallatin at cs.duke.edu
Thu Jul 16 18:36:00 UTC 2009

Yeechang Lee [ylee at pobox.com] wrote:
> Andrew Gallatin <gallatin at cs.duke.edu> says:
> > One of the things that drove me nuts about MythTV when I used it (in
> > the 0.19 days) was my CBS (and now NBC) stations' handling of
> > interlacing.
>
> Since you are willing to patch/compile,
> <URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/376812#376812>,
> then
> <URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/376922#376922>
>
> > 2) If I were to get an Ion, I'd want to use VDPAU.  Will the
> > deinterlacing be done entirely in hardware, insulating me from
> > this issue, or will it still happen?  I can't (easily) see for myself,
> > as I don't currently have an Nvidia card which supports VDPAU.
>
> This issue exists regardless of VDPAU. Deinterlacing isn't the issue,
> per se, but as you noted the constant flipping back and forth between
> (what mythfrontend thinks is) interlaced and progressive content.

So VDPAU handles all display, and MythTV passes the Mpeg stream
essentially unmolested.  Is that correct?  Then, when using VDPAU (and
not getting interlacing enable/disable state wrong) MythTV should have
comparable performance to a hardware based solution (eg, Sigma based
NMT).  Is that correct?

Thanks,

Drew