[mythtv-users] CBS/NBC 1080i and telecine

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 15:02:40 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 6:01 PM, Yeechang Lee<ylee at pobox.com> wrote:
> Andrew Gallatin <gallatin at cs.duke.edu> says:
>> One of the things that drove me nuts about MythTV when I used it (in
>> the 0.19 days) was my CBS (and now NBC) stations' handling of
>> interlacing.
>
> Since you are willing to patch/compile,
> <URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/376812#376812>,
> then
> <URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/376922#376922>
>
>> 2) If I were to get an Ion, I'd want to use VDPAU.  Will the
>> deinterlacing be done entirely in hardware, insulating me from
>> this issue, or will it still happen?  I can't (easily) see for myself,
>> as I don't currently have an Nvidia card which supports VDPAU.
>
> This issue exists regardless of VDPAU. Deinterlacing isn't the issue,
> per se, but as you noted the constant flipping back and forth between
> (what mythfrontend thinks is) interlaced and progressive content.
>
> I cannot speak for other MythTV distributions, but the 'bijou'
> 0.21-fixes packages in ATrpms' testing repository for Fedora and
> RHEL/CentOS contains both the above patches and backported VDPAU
> support.
>
> --
> Frontend/backend:       P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array
> Backend:                Quad-core Xeon 1.6GHz, 6.6TB sw RAID 6
> Video inputs:           Four high-definition over FireWire/OTA
> Accessories:            47" 1080p LCD, 5.1 digital, and MX-600

That fix has worked great for me ever since I enabled it.  That
constant enabling/disabling of deinterlacing didn't cause problems for
me when I was using bob x2, but with the new field order deinterlacer
it caused serious stuttering, which that patch corrects.

I've recently noticed one change in the NBC 1080i content...it used to
always be the case for shows such as dramas, that a one hour show
would display as around 52 minutes in the OSD.  This was due to the
mixing of different frame rates in commercials apparently.  I've
noticed that recently (the show "Kings" for example) that this no
longer appears to be the case.  Maybe over time they'll stop these
various bizarre practices.

Tom