[mythtv-users] No HDMI audio

"José Tomás @ Chico" jose.tomas at chico.mine.nu
Thu Jul 16 09:12:15 UTC 2009

Hi!

I have this issue almost a year, I'm living with it, but I want do get
rid of...
First I did thought that I didn't have sound on HDMI channel for some hw
reason, since a colleague have it fine at first time when did install
mythtv.

I tried some suggestions by updating asound.conf, nevertheless I had no
success.

After some investigation I did found that my colleague did the
installation having only hdmi connected, when I used VGA plus common
jack out.

So, in my case system is giving sound through the preferred out channel,
I have to select on mythtv if I want to have on different out, when I
need SPDIF simultaneous to HDMI and or with regular jack.
Do anyone knows about examples for having sound on both channels through
asound.conf editing?

Thanks all!

arc Tousignant wrote:

>     Could one of you flesh this out so that I can make an addition to
>     the wiki?  I don't really understand what is needed here.  Also,
>     give me the relevant model numbers.
>

>     Allen
>

> Allen,
>
>   Thanks for the great wiki article. I used it to set up my zotac
> board. My specific modifications are at:
> http://www.zoomthingie.com/wordpress/?p=161
>
> Nothing exciting, really. Just had to make a couple of small changes.
>
> I didn't take notes about the BIOS, but the BIOS has options for
> onboard sound. Internal, External, Both (and maybe Neither/Disabled?).
> HDMI sound requires _at least_ Internal, but I had to enable "Both".
> It sounds like spdif/analog require at least External.  If I had to
> guess, I'd imagine "Internal" refers to the Nvidia HDA sound built
> onto the NV chipset, and maybe "External" refers to a chip that's on
> the motherboard, but "external" to the NV chipset. That's purely
> supposition though.
>

> I'm not at home atm, so I can't be more specific. If you have specific
> questions, I'm happy to give any info I've got.
>
> --Phill
>

> I'm not at home either at the moment and since  I don't have a case
> for it yet, and I have a kitten, it is not in the entertainment center
> at the moment but instead in a closet when I am not at home lol. I'll
> get more info for you later tonight.
>
> Like Phill said thou, I think it was under southbridge, I'll confirm
> later, there was an option for internal and external, internal,
> external and neither(possibly disabled). The factory setting for me
> was to have both internal and external selected.
>
> I asked Phill for his kernel config options and I used them. I did
> look them over, but I didn't think anything of the selected options
> for audio cause it was working for him.
>
> The one change that I had to make to get spdif audio was to make sure
> the config was set to "CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_REALTEK=y"
>
> After enabling this and rebuilding the kernel my aplay --L had an
> iec958 item and using this as my asound.conf gave me audio through the
> spdif.
>
>   pcm.!default {
>
>      type plug
>
>      slave.pcm "iec958"
>
>   }
>

> I get home after 8 eastern tonight but, if Phill hasen't gotten back
> to you with the bios stuff etc, I will get you what you are asking for
> for the wiki.
>
> I am using the IONITX-C-U and Phill has the A-U version. Same thing
> different processors. He has dual core I have single.
>

> The next step for my setup is to narrow down the nfs permissions issue
> I am having and then work on configuring suspend to ram and wake on my
> remote.
>
> My first diskless frontend, and I will echo what others are saying,
> You can't tell the damn thing is on it is so silent.
>

> Marc

*José Tomás*

 MSN: jfht?netc.pt
 Skype: jfhtomas