[mythtv-users] Remote Mythfrontend Problem

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Wed Jul 15 14:36:49 UTC 2009

On Jul 15, 2009, at 10:26 AM, Nick Morrott wrote:

> On 15/07/2009, Steve Milner <mythtv at stephen-milner.me.uk> wrote:
>
>> Reboot and then as user mythtv
>>
>> xine dvb://"BBC ONE"
>>
>> Will work, although viewing that at 384KBi/s  isn't what you would
>> call a
>> working experience, but at least tonight I can get straight into
>> checking
>> things out.
>
> If you run tzap with the channels.conf file (you could symlink xine's
> copy to ~/.tzap/channels.conf) you should be able to see signal, SNR
> and BER numbers on the console without needing the GUI..

See also dvbtraffic.

In my neck of the woods (Boston, MA, USA), simultaneous azap and
dvbtraffic are enough to show if I've got a legit signal. Ran into an
interesting issue while working on driver support for a kworld usb
stick I've got -- azap was happy, but the picture looked like absolute
crap, constantly breaking up.

dvbtraffic was showing ~27Mbps for each multiplex, while with another
stick, it was showing the proper ~38Mbps. Turned out to be an em28xx
driver bug, which is now remedied upstream. The device max packet size
was hard-coded to 564 -- 3x188 -- but needed to be set based on the
device's eeprom, which for this kworld stick, was 752 -- 4x188.
Roughly a quarter of all mpeg2 packets were simply being dropped on
the floor, resulting in the horrid picture quality.

Now that device's support just needs to get merged upstream... (KWorld
PlusTV 340U).

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com