[mythtv-users] No HDMI audio

Phill Wiggin alamar at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 14:26:04 UTC 2009

> Allen, not exactly the answer as my bios was the newest and already set to
> use internal and external. HOWEVER, you pointed me toward the solution as I
> had never read the descriptions for this setting, btw it was set to use
> both
> via stock settings.
> I am network booting, so I compiled my kernel as lean as possible and only
> enabled the nVidia HAD driver, not thinking that they put 2 audio devices
> in
> the machine. Apparently there is also a Realtek alc885 which controls the
> regular sound card (mini-jacks and spdif) and then there is the nVidia one,
> that I compiled for, that is the HDMI audio. This became apparent from
> within the bios when looking at the internal/external descriptions and the
> external one mentioned "like the alc885"
>
> All set now.
>
> Thanks
>
> Marc

Marc,

  Glad to hear things are working.  Good catch on the realtek driver. I'm
stuck using HDMI on the TV I'm using now, but I'm considering another Zotac
for my media room (where I'll need spdif).

For what it's worth, I didn't get HDMI working until I enabled "both" in the
zotac BIOS.  For some reason, if I selected only the NVIDIA HDA in the BIOS,
I didn't get any sound over HDMI. Selecting 'Both' works fine though.

 --Phill