[mythtv-users] Remote Mythfrontend Problem

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 10:02:28 UTC 2009

On 15/07/2009, Steve Milner <mythtv at stephen-milner.me.uk> wrote:
> Hello all.
>
>  After several days of trying to understand this myself I must now ask for
> help.
>
>  I have a remote mythfrontend and I am noticing a high level of digital
> artefacts while watching live tv (DVB-T).
>
>  There are occasional sound glitches including (high pitched short sqeaks)
> as well as small areas (sometimes very large areas) of the screen which fail
> to update or contain grey.
>
>  It seems that when I first start watching a channel then for a minute or so
> there are relatively few problems, but they then get worse. But of course
> that could be just my perceptions.
>
>  Sound glitches occur about every minute or so and the small areas of
> picture problems about every 10-20 seconds.

Those problems still look like being due to a poor quality TV signal.
Absolute signal strength is not the best artiber of whether you'll
have a perfect picture. If you run Kaffeine instead of MythTV, do you
still see vidoe and audio glitches? We need to try and determine where
the issue lies.

Running MythTV, can you watch LiveTV on the backend system _and_ the
frontend system and do you get the same problems? Does the LiveTV OSD
give you a high bit error ratio figure (BER) whilst tuning? Do you see
lots of mpeg2video errors in the frontend logfiles when playing a
recording or LiveTV session where you see picture breakup and audio
glitches? These can all be indications of poor signal strength.

Errors may be like:

2009-07-15 08:16:45.602 [mpeg2video @ 0x5a3c7b0]ac-tex damaged at 29 25

Finally, do you have problems on all channels, or only those on
particular muxes (a breakdown of channels per mux can be found at
http://www.dtg.org.uk/industry/dtt_channels.html).

Cheers,
Nick

--