[mythtv-users] overscan problems with nvidia 8400 GS

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Jul 14 19:56:50 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 14 July 2009 13:44:56 Krzysztof Adamski wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-07-14 at 15:31 +0100, wrote:
> > Tortise wrote:
> > > Out of interest what is the model and brand of your TV?
> > >
> > > I know some more recent Samsungs, for example, display all the pixels
> > > using a VGA input.  It is a variation of some smarts towards answering
> > > the problem and if your set does this then you are ahead of those whose
> > > sets don't correct at all, however it would be better if the option was
> > > available on all inputs.  Your TV is almost certainly expecting to
> > > display a video image that your manufacturer thinks should be
> > > overscanned on all inputs - except the VGA - which is clearly expecting
> > > a PC's output.  They have presumed that you would not wish to display a
> > > PC image on any of the other inputs.  What did their promotion
> > > literature say, this may be consistent with the promotional material
> > > and not overly misleading?
>
> I have a 4 year old Samsung DLP TV, on the DVI and HDMI inputs you can
> change the picture size, the options are: Wide TV, Wide PC, Expand, and
> 4:3.
> All except for "Wide PC" do a bit of overscann, the "Wide PC" fills all
> of the screen with nothing hidden.
> On the VGA input, I get a 1 inch black border around the screen which I
> can't get rid of.
> I have not looked at what overscann exists on the analog inputs.
>
> This is all with the 1280x720 resolution, it is a 720p TV. Once I tried
> to run Myth at 1920x1080 resolution, but the overscann was bad, so I
> gave up without much trying to reduce it.

Just to add more info to this thread, here's what one of my former co-workers
said:

"We have some Panasonic professional monitors that use
displays manufactured with an aspect ratio of 15:9 (1.67). To display
16:9 (1.78) ATSC pictures, they leave a few lines of black at the top
and bottom."

Seems to me the entire issue is about as confused as if it were government
controlled.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org