[mythtv-users] fedora 11 audio with mythtv

Patrick Mansfield patman at aracnet.com
Tue Jul 14 05:04:00 UTC 2009

Hi -

I've upgraded my system from fedora 9 to fedora 11.

I'm building from myth svn source, and have pretty much everything working
except sound :-(

What audio interface should I be using with Fedora 11 and mythtv?

I have sound working in general - I have not disabled pulseaudio, I'm
using kde, and I'm able to play mp3's (using xmms).

I have the pulse audio disable/enable showing up in my logs, but then
mythfrontend tries and fails opening /dev/dsp.

Previously (AFAICT), myth was using the /dev/dsp on my system with Fedora 9.

I'm not sure if I should enable OSS on my system (maybe in /etc/modprobe.d/dist-oss.conf,
per comments in that file), change my myth settings, or install some other
audio package (like alsa-oss).

I'm configuring myth builds via:

configure --enable-xvmc --enable-dvb --enable-proc-opt --enable-opengl-vsync

And my config output has this for sound:

# Sound Output Support
PulseAudio support        yes
OSS support               yes
ALSA support              yes
aRts support              yes
JACK support              no
libfftw3 support          no

I don't know what enables the config OSS support.

Thanks ...

-- Patrick Mansfield