[mythtv-users] MythTV on Embedded CPU

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Fri Jul 10 16:22:32 UTC 2009

YD wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am considering that poting the MythTV to STi7101 or STi7111.
> The CPU is 300MHz, and memory for system is 128MB.
> I know MythTV is made for PC like 1GHz, 2GHz with high memory.
> But the ST chip has the hardware decoder and demux.
> So If I am using that function well with MythTV, It will works.

If you are using hardware decoding, the frontend does not need much
power.  You still want a reasonable amount of power for the backend for
database lookup, scheduling, commflagging, transcoding, etc...

However you're going to have two problems.

The frontend uses a lot of memory for the UI.  I'm currently running
310MB on one frontend, 156MB on another.  That's just the difference
between themes.  I remember a friend saying MePo used to suck down well
over a GB (no personal experience with that one).  128MB for a full
system just really doesn't cut it.

Specs on the DSPs in those embedded boxes are usually locked away behind
NDAs.  You would only be able to release the kernel drivers and decoding
modules as binary blobs, which severely limits their uptake on an open
source project.