[mythtv-users] FYI: Comcast basic cable in clear QAM

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Fri Jul 10 15:40:14 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 11:27 AM, Nathan Ford<zimans at gmail.com> wrote:
> A friend of mine has Comcast cable and told me today that Comcast has
> started providing basic cable channels as clear QAM. There is no PSIP data,
> so you may need to manually build a channel map, but it is there. This is in
> the greater Boston area, so dunno how nation wide the change is. I did a
> quick search of the list to see if this information had been posted before,
> but didn't find any results, so hopefully this isn't old news.

Comcast is ridiculously self inconsistent.  Which channels are
scrambled and which are clear can vary from location to location, and
from day to day.

The silicondust web site has user contributed maps of channel scans
for clear QAM by zip code, but I've found that their maps don't always
match what I see.

Eric