[mythtv-users] OT: SATA errors

Alex Butcher mythlist at assursys.co.uk
Fri Jul 10 09:20:05 UTC 2009

On Thu, 9 Jul 2009, Harry Devine wrote:

> The MB is an Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe with an nVidia nForce4 SLI x16 chipset
> (from the MB manual).  I have an nVidia GeForce 9400GT video card in the
> PCI-e slot and a pcHDTV5500 tuner card in one of the regular PCI slots.  Both
> are working fine.  The SATA ports are on the MB itself as I mentioned earler.

According to the manual, the four black SATA sockets at the front of the
motherboard are all handled by the nVidia SATA controller. The SATA socket
at the back (and presumably the eSATA port too) is handled by the Silicon
Image controller.

A controller potentially makes for a single point of failure; either due to
a non-standard or faulty design, flawed drivers or failed components.

Personally, I've been burnt a number of times by odd behaviour from
non-Intel chipsets under Linux, but other people swear by (rather than at)
SiS, VIA and nVidia chipsets. YMMV.

> Thanks for the help!
> Harry

Best Regards,