[mythtv-users] GL problem in Mythfrontend after Firefox/ BBC iPlayer crash

Erik Hovland erik at hovland.org
Thu Jul 9 16:31:20 UTC 2009

>> On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 7:04 AM, John Pilkington <J.Pilk at tesco.net
>> <mailto:J.Pilk at tesco.net>> wrote:
>>
>>    Using another Mythbox as a guide I was able to step through the
>>    menus to select Qt instead of Open GL. Reselecting OpenGL produced a
>>    usable system again, but I'll probably use Qt until the other
>>    problems are resolved.
>>
>>    Have other people had success with the BBC/Adobe systems on a 64-bit
>>    system (mine is FC10 with Yeechang's modified 0.21 fixes), and, more
>>    urgently, can anyone suggest a less cumbersome way of recovering
>>    from the QGL 'invalid context'?  Changing the OpenGL Settings in the
>>    nVidia utility didn't help.
>>

>> Regarding your qt/opengl issues: I had similar problems with menus
>> following a system crash (caused by HVR-2250).
>> Try launching frontend with "mythfrontend -O ThemePainter=qt ..." to force
>> qt if your menus disappear.  See this thread for more details:
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/387405
>
> Of course!! - I've used the -O switch before - and I should have searched
> before posting.  Thanks anyway :-)

Strangely, the ThemePainter issue came up in my thread about gentoo
and disappearing menus.  I had tried ThemePainter but stupid me, I
only tried ThemePainter=qt by itself. It didn't work. And my problem
went away later. Yesterday my disappearing menus disappeared again. So
I tried the ThemePainter trick again. But with the twist suggested
here and in the linked to thread. First I fired up mythfrontend w/ -O
ThemePainter=OpenGL. Then I killed it and fired up mythfrontend w/ -O
ThemePainter=qt. The menus reappeared! Note that my frontend has
always repored that qt is the theme painter. Every time it was launch
except when OpenGL was forced. But still this trick worked. There is
something subtle going on back there.

Erik Hovland
erik at hovland.org
http://hovland.org/