[mythtv-users] OT: SATA errors

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Jul 9 13:40:48 UTC 2009

On Thursday 09 July 2009 07:26:37 Matt Mossholder wrote:

> Ubuntu uses a patched sulogin for system maintenance to get around that
> issue. If you can't log in, it may indicate that the /etc/passwd or
> /etc/group file was damaged.

Thanks, that's good to know. I don't  use (K,X)Ubuntu regularly, but enough of
my friends do to cause me to keep a Kubuntu system around to help answer
questions.

I do use a modified Xbuntu on some thin clients, but they auto-connect to the
server via RDP so I never even see that OS normally once it's set up. Xbuntu
is great for older hardware or cases where you want to boot from a flash
device.

Ubuntu has done well at attracting new Linux users (I think it's now the most
popular distro), but at the cost of behaving differently from "normal" Linux
distros. I know they have a "If you're moving from Windows" section in their
docs, perhaps they need an "if you're moving from a more normal Unix"
section.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org