[mythtv-users] Fedora kernel hdpvr driver (was: Failed HD-PVR recordings)

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Wed Jul 8 19:30:39 UTC 2009

On Jul 8, 2009, at 3:19 PM, Greg Woods wrote:

> On Wed, 2009-07-08 at 14:11 -0400, Jarod Wilson wrote:
>
>> I initially put it in for my own selfish reasons -- to use with my
>> own
>> HD PVR -- but figured other Fedora MythTV users might benefit too. :)
>
> And thank you for that; I have been running my HD-PVR with trunk on
> Fedora 10, without any kernel changes. I have not encountered the
> failed
> recordings problem although I do get lots of h.264 errors logged. I
> have
> a few other problems (that I have detailed several times already
> that it
> seems nobody else is seeing so I won't list them again), and have
> considered upgrading to Fedora 11 to see if there is a newer hdpvr
> driver; is there? (It's unlikely to fix my issues anyway because I
> believe they have to do with playback, not recording, but may be
> worth a
> shot)

Yeah, the driver in the 2.6.29.x Fedora 11 kernel is closer (if not
identical) to the v4l-dvb hg tip version, while the one in the Fedora
10 2.6.27.x kernel is a bit older. I want to say there were some
subtle improvements included between those two that Janne had wanted
to get into the driver prior to it being merged upstream, but I can't
recall exactly what they were right now... But yeah, tey'd likely only
be in the 2.6.29.x and later Fedora kernels. Note that if you don't
feel like going all-in for an update to F11 just to see if hdpvr stuff
works better, you can grab a 2.6.29.x kernel out of F10's updates-
testing repo, and its got the same hdpvr patch in it as F11.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com