[mythtv-users] font issues, mythtv 9.04

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Jul 7 14:19:34 UTC 2009

On 07/07/2009 04:29 AM, Troy Goodson wrote:
> I have some font weirdness and I'm hoping someone has advice.
>
> * When I turn on ATSC captions, the font looks like a typewriter font
> (not sans-serif like everything else).

The caption fonts are specified in their own settings.  For ATSC, there
are fonts specified for Monospaced Serif, Proportional Serif, Monospaced
Sans Serif, Proportional Sans Serif, Casual, Cursive, Capitals--each in
both Regular and Italic; and the ATSC captions in the stream,
themselves, specify which type of text to display for all the caption data.

You need to set the font you want to use for each type of text in
frontend settings under TV Settings|OSD.  Note that Myth can only use
(TrueType) fonts that are available in the MythTV share dir (i.e.
/usr/{,local/}share/mythtv ).  By default, it uses one of the FreeFont
fonts--I'm guessing (from your description) FreeMono.

>   As new captions come in, they overlap the previous caption text and
> it becomes unreadable.

ATSC (EIA-708) captions still need some work.  You can either write the
code to fix them or use NTSC VBI-style (EIA-608) captions.  Just change
your keybindings so that instead of using TOGGLECC, you use TOGGLECC608.

> * In the settings pages, my check marks and check boxes seem quite a
> bit smaller than the other text.

Change your Qt style.  Platinum tends to work quite well.  The Qt
default one is terrible for a 10-foot interface, so you should /never/
use it (though I have no idea if MythBuntu changes that for users).
It's in frontend settings under Appearance.

> * I've noticed messages in my /var/log/mythtv/mythfrontend.log:
> Specified base font 'medium' does not exist for font clock
>
> Are these all the same problem?  I'd like to fix these issues and it'd
> be great if someone could point me in the right direction.
> 2009-06-29 00:16:58.995 Switching to square mode (Mythbuntu-8.04)
> 2009-06-29 00:17:28.319 Specified base font 'medium' does not exist
> for font clock

I have no idea what font the Mythbuntu-8.04 GUI theme for MythTV
specifies for medium, but it's not properly installed on your system.
That may be because a) the theme itself is (and has been) broken or b)
your install is broken.  Either way, it's not really anything to worry
about unless you have a serious problem with the
artistic/stylistic/visual problems it causes.

Mike