[mythtv-users] overscan problems with nvidia 8400 GS

Phil Wild philwild at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 01:46:00 UTC 2009

> I think its actually really quite simple, if the TV manufacturer promoted a TV display resolution then the set should provide it.
> (With option of no overscanning)  Manufacturers might be resistant to providing the first few but once the precedent is confirmed
> they will likely become more obliging.

I agree with you.... BUT....

I run my panel at 1080P with no overscan. I often get garbage
appearing around the edges of the display and sometimes, there is also
just black (maybe 20 pixels of black) around the outside of the video
stream.

So it would appear that the conversion of video from the original
source material to 1920 x 1080 does not always produce an exact 1920 x
1080 video stream. I would expect that the everyday consumer would
complain more about what they see on the screen rather than what they
don't see (being a better end result).

The fix needs to start with the broadcasters...

And back to the original post about nvidia having to deal with this....

mythtv allows you to scale the video stream to your display, it also
allows you to adjust where the gui is displayed so the problem has
been addressed within mythtv quite well (actually as well as could be
expected IMHO). This however does not solve the problem of cards that
have a "video out" port that are used for more than just mythtv.
However, my thoughts are that those ports are there to allow a video
signal to be sent to a screen for watching video. If the broadcaster
were to send the same video to the TV, you get the same result with
the same amount of lost data. Those video out ports were never really
designed to output a "monitor" type display.

If the video card manufacturer offered the soln at some point in time,
then that was great, but I think it is wrong to expect them to
continue to support it. Also, supporting it on Windows does not mean
that they need to support it on Linux. They are free to drop features
whenever they choose and if you don't like it, choose another card or
another OS. On the other hand, if the feature is advertised and does
not do what it is advertised as doing, then that is another story.

Cheers