[mythtv-users] Which PVR Card

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Jul 6 23:00:32 UTC 2009

On Monday 06 July 2009 16:44:38 drew einhorn wrote:

> I was under the impression that you could put HD signals on QAM
> Are there ATSC modulators that will handle HD?

Yes. Cable systems do it all the time. A TV transmitter's exciter is
essentially an ATSC modulator.

> And will a standard TV be able to decode them?

Sure. Most any modern TV can decode ATSC, and some can demodulate QAM as well
(as long as it's not encrypted).

> If so, they are also probably expensive, too.

Correct. Generally on the order of $1K per channel at least.

> Or, is there another way to get a HD signal to a distant TV?

Several. It depends on how far you need to transport the signal.

Short distances can be done by HDMI cables or component cables. Longer
distances can be handled by sending the signal over USB or firewire in some
way, or over ethernet by using a UPnP server and a UPnP client at the TV end,
or some other arrangement for sending HD as data.

I'll ignore the non-consumer solutions like fiber optic, microwave signal etc.

The main questions are:

What type of signal are you starting out with?

How far do you need to transport it?

How many TV sets do you need to feed?

Is it a live feed or can you store it as a file somehow?

Last but NOT least:

What is your budget?

--
Brian Wood