[mythtv-users] Signal strength issues changing from NTSC toQAM256

Tony Sarathchandra tsarathchandra at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 6 20:04:45 UTC 2009

                             |------------3.5dB------->TV

> I have an initial 2-way splitter as you can see going to a TV in
> another room. I'm guessing that the signal level after this initial
> 3.5dB loss and the subsequent 7.0dB loss is not sufficient enough to
> the QAM tuner to detect a strong enough signal.  Any thoughts on how I
> can alleviate this situation as I do need the splitters in place to
> use all the tuners in the house?
>
> Should I invest in a cable amplifier at the initial 2-way splitter
> point? Would this improve the QAM signal strength sufficiently? I've
> also been looking adding a second ATSC/QAM tuner to my setup as I do
> want to receive OTA DTV as well, would something like a HD Homerun be
> more able to operate with lower signal levels that the HVR-1600? Any
> feedback much appreciated.

Seems plausible to me.  I had problems with our comcast cable modem
disconnecting they came and installed a amplifier that looks a lot like this
one http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?prod=CM3410
but a generic brand.  After that no problems.  I wasn't using myth QAM at
that point so I don't know about QAM in particular but now I do use QAM from
comcast (through the amp) with no problems.  In our setup it is installed
off the main line from the street coming into the house and then it goes
through 2 splitters before hitting the HDHR and only 1 before the cable

Thanks Alan, I'll give the Amp option a try.  As I was thinking of buying
another tuner anyway I was thinking perhaps there are better tuners out
there that handle lower signal levels better than my HVR-1600, but I guess
the amp option is probably the cheapest, and if it doesn't work out easier
to return from a local electronics store.

Tony