[mythtv-users] Video Catalog

David Segall david at segall.net
Mon Jul 6 17:44:10 UTC 2009

Tony Baca wrote:
> My Video collection is getting quite large.  The Wife does not like to
> scroll through the videos looking at what there is, honestly, I don’t
> like to either.
>

> I want to make a “card catalog” of the videos.  I would like to pull
> from the database information and print it on a card, or piece of paper,
> put the paper in a three ring binder.  As I add new vides, I can print a
> page and insert it in the proper place in the binder.
>

> Two questions:
>
>             1) Has anyone done something similar or solved the problem
> in a different manor?
>
>             2) What tools would you recommend to someone who knows only
> the very basics of sql?

I wrote an entry in the Wiki that explains how to connect the MythTV
database to Microsoft Access
<http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Microsoft_Access>. Once you have done that
Microsoft Access provides a simple form that generates the SQL required
to extract the data and a report generator that will print your page in
the format you specify. Open Office Base
http://www.openoffice.org/product/base.html> provides comparable
facilities and is cross platform and open source.