[mythtv-users] LCD doesn't work after kernel update

Jay Foster jayf0ster at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 6 14:10:19 UTC 2009

> --- On Fri, 7/3/09, Jay Foster <jayf0ster at sbcglobal.net>
> wrote:
>
> > From: Jay Foster <jayf0ster at sbcglobal.net>
> > Subject: LCD doesn't work after kernel update
> > To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
> > Date: Friday, July 3, 2009, 6:06 PM
> > I'm using mythbuntu 8.10 0.21-fixes
> > and got my iMON LCD device working
> > last month.  I just installed the kernel update from
> > the mythbuntu
> > updates and the LCD isn't working properly anymore.
> > did recreate the
> > symbolic links in the /lib/modules/... directories
> for
> > lirc_dev and
> > lirc_imon.  (updated from 2.6.27-14-generic to
> > 2.6.27-14-generic)
> >
> > Before the update, the LCD display would start during
> the
> > boot process
> > and MythTV would use it just fine.  Now, the LCD
> does
> > not start during
> > boot, but I can manually do "sudo service LCDd
> restart" and
> > it starts up
> > with the default LCDproc Serv message.  However,
> > MythTV doesn't display
> > anything on it anymore.  I've checked the MythTV
> > configuration and the
> > use LCD device is still configured.  All of my
> > LCDd.conf files and
> > startup scripts are intact.   dmesg and
> > /var/log/messages doesn't show
> > any clues.  Why won't the LCD start at boot and why
> > won't MythTV use the
> > LCD anymore?
> >
> The only error I can find is in the ~/.xsession-errors
> file:
>
> ** Message: Xkb extension found
> ** Message: another SSH agent is running at:
> /tmp/ssh-uinmTY6743/agent.6743
> Invalid argument: -session
> Valid options are:
> -p or --port number
>    A port number to listen on (default is
> 6545)
> -d or --daemon
>     Runs lcd server as a daemon
> -n or --nodaemon
>   Does not run lcd server as a daemon (default)
> -m or --startupmessage        Message
> to show at startup
> -t or --messagetime
>    How long to show startup message (default
> 30 seconds)
> -l or --logfile filename      Writes STDERR
> and STDOUT messages to filename
> -v or --verbose debug-level    Use '-v help' for
> level info
> -x or --debuglevel level      Control how
> much debug messages to show
>
>               [number
> between 0 and 10] (default 0)
> Please note: additional command line arguments will not be
> passed
>   to mythfrontend when using --service
>
> This error comes from /usr/bin/mythlcdserver.  I
> suspect that the invalid command is comming from the xfce4
> session cache (~/.cache/sessions).  ps shows that
> [...]
I can report some success in resolving this.  I exited mythfrontend and then killed mythlcdserver.  I then restarted mythlcdserver and the system time again appeared on the LCD display.  I restarted mythfrontend and the MythTV information is again displayed on the LCD display.  My theory is that mythlcdserver only attempts to connect to LCDd (lcd_proc) when it starts, which this exercise seems to confirm.

So why does LCDd no longer start at boot time?  I know that LCDd depends on /dev/lcd0.  I think /dev/lcd0 is created by lircd (lirc_dev, lirc_imon).  So lircd MUST start before LCDd or LCDd will fail.  I suspect that this is what is happening.  How do I make lircd start before LCDd?