[mythtv-users] Sorry, but where again do you set up the "do not use" HDD head room parameter?

stuart stuart at xnet.com
Mon Jul 6 03:47:06 UTC 2009

stuart wrote:

> Nick Morrott wrote:
>> On 04/07/2009, stuart <stuart at xnet.com> wrote:
>>> Sorry, but where again do you set up the "do not use" HDD head room
>>> parameter?
>>
>> Mythfrontend Setup -> TV Settings -> General ->General (Autoexpire).
>>
>> The item is "Extra Disk Space" on the right hand side:
>>
>> "Extra disk space (in Gigabytes) that you want to keep free on the
>> recording file systems beyond what MythTV requires."
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Nick
>>

> Ok, so I do not think this is working for me (I have it set to reserve
> 30GB of HDD space in my recordings directory).
>
> Are there any other setting that could "trump" this rule?
>
> By-The-Way: How does this work with -2- back ends each with their own
> tuners and storage?  I always assumed I had to set this on both boxes
> and that the settings were exclusive to that and only that box.
>
> -thanks

Well, I discovered I'm an idiot.  All my recordings had the auto expired
turned off.  Evidently that *trumps* the "keep 30GB free" rule I had
imposed.  After allowing auto expiring on the individual recordings, I
found that most of the recording rules were set up with auto expire
turned off.  So I fix most if not all of those rules.  And -then-, so as
not to repeat the problem, I set the default recording rule to "auto
expire".  ...  Are we done yet??  I hope so.  All 3 of my partitions
which I store recordings on are now reporting at least 30GB free.

I have another question:  Is is safe to assume that anything in the
mythsetup program is common to all back ends?  That is, you can run the
mythsetup program on any back end (master or slave) and that will be
enough.  You don't have to run it on each back end box, right?

Then, is it safe to assume that anything in the setup menu of the
mythfrontend program is unique to the box you are running on?  That is,
if you are on a SBE then you are only changing stuff on that box.  If
you want to change stuff on the MBE you need to go the the setup menu
inside of the mythfrontend program that is running on the MBE box, right?

(Some how I doubt it is as simple as that.)

-thanks