[mythtv-users] LiveTV conflicts with scheduled recording - despite unused tuners on the same box!

Phil Bridges gravityhammer at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 01:41:38 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 3:04 PM, Yeechang Lee<ylee at pobox.com> wrote:
> Phil Bridges <gravityhammer at gmail.com> says:
>> Why is it that nearly every time somebody mentions using LiveTV, we
>> get the same voices telling the individual "YOU ARE USING MYTHTV
>> WRONG!"?  How in the world is that helpful?
>
> It doesn't change the fact that, yes, you are using MythTV wrong. Or,
> at least, for something it is not primarily designed for.

If it's not designed for using LiveTV, it shouldn't have LiveTV as the
first entry in the standard theme setup.

>> I use LiveTV all the time, and, frankly, would go a different route
>> for my DVR if iMyth didn't support it.  I'd rather change DVR
>> software than have to pay monthly for yet another cable box.
>
> I have to admit I'm stumped by the above. I don't understand the
> connection between MythTV's Live TV and the need, or not, for another
> cable box. This, I suppose, could tie into what Jean-Yves Avenard
> wrote elsewhere in the thread:

I have a cable box tied to my MythTV system.  I don't have a cable box
in my bedroom.  If I want to, for instance, flip between ESPNHD and
ESPN2HD in my bedroom, I can only do that via LiveTV, or by renting
another cable box.  I choose to use LiveTV.

>> And finally, that you don't see why people like to use LiveTV, is
>> probably the best reason for you not to tell them that they
>> shouldn't use it.
>
> This is in many ways the most-effective riposte to me and other anti
> MythTV-Live TV posters; it is both logical and impossible to respond
> to.

If only it were that easy... (not referring to you, btw)