[mythtv-users] LCD doesn't work after kernel update

Jay Foster jayf0ster at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jul 5 23:07:58 UTC 2009

> > I'm using mythbuntu 8.10 0.21-fixes and got my iMON LCD device working
> > last month.  I just installed the kernel update from the mythbuntu
> > updates and the LCD isn't working properly anymore.  I did recreate
> > the
> > symbolic links in the /lib/modules/... directories for lirc_dev and
> > lirc_imon.  (updated from 2.6.27-14-generic to 2.6.27-14-generic)

Uh... What?

> > Before the update, the LCD display would start during the boot process
> > and MythTV would use it just fine.  Now, the LCD does not start during
> > boot, but I can manually do "sudo service LCDd restart" and it
> > starts up
> > with the default LCDproc Serv message.  However, MythTV doesn't
> > display
> > anything on it anymore.  I've checked the MythTV configuration and the
> > use LCD device is still configured.  All of my LCDd.conf files and
> > startup scripts are intact.   dmesg and /var/log/messages doesn't show
> > any clues.  Why won't the LCD start at boot and why won't MythTV use
> > the
> > LCD anymore?

Did you by chance get an lcdproc update too? 0.5.3 was just released,
and only works correctly with trunk or rather recent 0.21 svn fixes.

-- Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com Yes, that was not a typo. The updated
kernel image had the same version as the one I was currently running. I
thought that very odd too. I checked the notes before updating and it
didn't mention anything about the new lcdproc. It only mentioned some
things about NFS and CIFS changes, which I'm not using. I also don't
think it has anything to do with lcdproc, since I can get the LCD
display to work, just not with MythTV anymore. I am still running my
patched version of lcdproc and lirc. I know because I had to reinstall
them after the kernel "update". Befpre reinstalling them, the LCD
display didn't work at all, which was expected since the kernel doesn't
support it.