[mythtv-users] LCD doesn't work after kernel update

Jay Foster jayf0ster at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jul 5 03:04:41 UTC 2009

--- On Fri, 7/3/09, Jay Foster <jayf0ster at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> From: Jay Foster <jayf0ster at sbcglobal.net>
> Subject: LCD doesn't work after kernel update
> To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
> Date: Friday, July 3, 2009, 6:06 PM
> I'm using mythbuntu 8.10 0.21-fixes
> and got my iMON LCD device working
> last month.  I just installed the kernel update from
> the mythbuntu
> updates and the LCD isn't working properly anymore.  I
> did recreate the
> symbolic links in the /lib/modules/... directories for
> lirc_dev and
> lirc_imon.  (updated from 2.6.27-14-generic to
> 2.6.27-14-generic)
>
> Before the update, the LCD display would start during the
> boot process
> and MythTV would use it just fine.  Now, the LCD does
> not start during
> boot, but I can manually do "sudo service LCDd restart" and
> it starts up
> with the default LCDproc Serv message.  However,
> MythTV doesn't display
> anything on it anymore.  I've checked the MythTV
> configuration and the
> use LCD device is still configured.  All of my
> LCDd.conf files and
> startup scripts are intact.   dmesg and
> /var/log/messages doesn't show
> any clues.  Why won't the LCD start at boot and why
> won't MythTV use the
> LCD anymore?

The only error I can find is in the ~/.xsession-errors file:

** Message: Xkb extension found
** Message: another SSH agent is running at: /tmp/ssh-uinmTY6743/agent.6743
Invalid argument: -session
Valid options are:
-p or --port number           A port number to listen on (default is 6545)
-d or --daemon                Runs lcd server as a daemon
-n or --nodaemon              Does not run lcd server as a daemon (default)
-m or --startupmessage        Message to show at startup
-t or --messagetime           How long to show startup message (default 30 seconds)
-l or --logfile filename      Writes STDERR and STDOUT messages to filename
-v or --verbose debug-level    Use '-v help' for level info
-x or --debuglevel level      Control how much debug messages to show
                              [number between 0 and 10] (default 0)
Please note: additional command line arguments will not be passed
  to mythfrontend when using --service

This error comes from /usr/bin/mythlcdserver.  I suspect that the invalid command is comming from the xfce4 session cache (~/.cache/sessions).  ps shows that /usr/bin/mythlcdserver is indeed running.  A Wireshark capture during mythfronted startup confirms that mythfrontend is connecting to mythlcdserver on port 6545 and chit chatting successfully.  It also confirms that noone attempts to connect to LCD_proc server on port 13666.  I can mannually run the lcd_proc client and it connects to the LCD_proc server and displays the system status on the LCD.  I kill that and the default LCD_proc Server output is displayed on the LCD.  I no longer get the system clock displayed or MythTV output.  I think the problem is with Myth or xfce4.  I'm in way over my head with this one.