[mythtv-users] Why do I need to launch frontend with "-O ThemePainter=OpenGL"? And what relation does this have with vnc?

Matt Beadon matt.beadon at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 01:33:20 UTC 2009

> > So what I'd see is that on the tv all the menus would appear but over
> > vnc I would just see the background image.  This didn't seem to change
> > with different themes so I grumbled and figured it was something odd
> > about vnc/frontend.

<snip>

I had originally (and still have) set my painter to be opengl in TV
Settings|Appearance

(I.e. anything that's not "opengl" uses the default, which is the Qt
> painter.  And, really, even "opengl" uses the Qt painter if the frontend
> was not compiled with OpenGL support.)

<snip>

So basically my typo exposed the fact that I should have been using qt all
along.  8-)
Thanks for the info!

> The -O argument to myth applications is the, "Settings Override,"
> argument--meaning, "For /just/ this one execution, ignore the value of
> the setting that I configured and stored in my database and use the one
> I'm supplying on the command line."  So, you just need to fix the
> setting in mythfrontend settings under TV Settings|Appearance.  If you
> can't use OpenGL (and, when you're using VNC, you probably can't use
> OpenGL as VNC has no OpenGL--though it might kind of work with
> sufficient processor power if using a :0 VNC session), set the Theme
> Painter to Qt in settings.

Would it be worth submitting a bug to suggest that myth FE (and perhaps all
myth programs) loudly complain about unrecognized arguments on the command
line rather than quietly ignoring them?

thanks
Matt