[mythtv-users] Interfacing Zotac IONITX to Analog TV

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 01:04:15 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 12:10 PM, <steve.lawrence at comcast.net> wrote:
> Phil Bridges wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 4:34 PM, <steve.lawrence at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>> I'll let you know.. :)
>
> Letting you know..
>
>>> I came up with this, or.. something like this :
>>>
>>> http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=208721046&listingid=27082339
>>> &dcaid=17902
>>>
>>> I'm figuring that should do the job, no?
>>>
>>> Steve.
>>>

>>> Is the Zotac DVI port DVI-I or DVI-D?  If it's DVI-D, that won't work.
>
>>DVI-I might be required, but I think the video card also needs to support a
>>"sync on green" signal out the DVI port, which I hear is ATI's specialty,
>>and only a couple nVidia's can do.  Is the 9400M one of those "couple"?
>
> It turns out that the Zotac IONITX board has a digital DVI output (DVI-D
> not -A or -I) , and thus won't work with the dongle above. You would need
> one o' them ($100) boxes that does the digital--> analog conversion.
>
> Oh well. I have a couple o' tellys I can use this on, so I'm not out of
> pocket or anything. I'll have to find a crusty machine with an S-video out
> for my crusty telly...
>
> Steve.

I am a little late reading the list but I see you found out that there
are three DVI specs and only 2 of them support analog and almost
everyone is the third.

I have a fairly high end consumer VGA to S-Video converter and it is
crap.  Seems like it should be easy to do but I must be missing
something.  VGA is just the three colors plus horizontal and vertical
sync.  Component just adds the sync signals to two of the color
signals.  S-Video is more complex so perhaps it is possible to find a
cheap VGA -> component converter.  I see that there are converters in
the $ 60 range but I have no knowledge if they are any good.  Perhaps
someone else on the list does.

Allen