[mythtv-users] LiveTV conflicts with scheduled recording - despite unused tuners on the same box!

Bill Williamson bill at bbqninja.com
Thu Jul 2 22:05:48 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 6:18 AM, David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us> wrote:

> Yeechang Lee wrote:
>
>> And, looking back, you don't wish you could've saved it for watching
>> again later? Or that there weren't moments when it'd have been nice to
>> skip back a few seconds to watch a moment of the coverage again, like
>> to figure out whether Armstrong said "One small step for man" or "for
>> _a_ man"?[1] The latter is possible with MythTV's Live TV, but not the
>> former for any meaningful length of time.
>>

> Yes it is.  Hit 'R' to convert to a recording, and it'll be stored like any
> other recording.  One of many LiveTV features that we're apparently not
> supposed to use. Has anyone written a patch to remove LiveTV entirely yet?
>  It seems like it's about as popular as Windows ME with the MythTV "in"
> crowd that calls the shots here. ;)

Even if you don't hit R you can tell it to keep all live TV as long as you
want, and even dedicate a storage group to it.  I have mine set to a 50gig
storage group, set to keep for 5 days.  That way I can go "back in time" and
"record" live tv I watched over the weekend.

I know I tend to ride both sides of the "yell at mythtv" "love mythtv"
fence, but on this issue the complainers are blowing it out of
proportion.  The basic facts are:

1. MythTV is written for and optimized for recording TV on a schedule.
2. MythTV ALLOWS you to watch live TV.  It is not the primary function
though.
2a. Live TV was even rewritten almost 100% fairly recently (.19?) to
allow it to work better and be more "keepable" instead of a constant
30min ringbuffer
2b. Live TV has had enhancements every version bump, the latest being allowing
them to be in a dedicated recording group to avoid messing with your
recorded programs.
3. From other threads there is at least 1 dev playing with how to make
livetv better.  He/she isn't posting because it's experimental work in
progress.
4. If you have a good, concrete specification of how you think live tv
should work better, write it up properly and post it.
 Just saying "channel changes should be faster" is not a fix.  Saying
"in section X of the code it's doing these 15 lookups which take 4
seconds, it could be doing them in another thread while the IR is
changing channels" etc.